Originally posted on my own personal blog.
My friend Rachel Held Evans recently wrote how she is both a lousy evangelical and a lousy progressive. I'm pretty sure Rachel is my long lost sister, because I don't fit in fully with either the evangelical label or the progressive label either! Here's why . . .
I'm a Lousy Evangelical Because:
1. I believe the world is billion years old.
2. While I haven't read The Origin of Species yet, I think there's some truth to Darwin.
3. Even though I believe the Bible is true and inspired by God, I have questions about the inerrancy part.
4. I do NOT watch Fox News!
5. I don't believe in Just War theory.
6. I've never "kissed dating goodbye."
7. I'm actually happy that Maryland is considering legalizing gay marriage.
I'm a Lousy Progressive Because:
1. I'm not a universalist.
2. I talk a lot about creation care and radical inclusivity, but I"m not very good at either one.
3. I think Paul was an alright guy.
4. I believe Jesus really did physically rise from the grave.
5. And I believe His mom was a virgin.
6. Sometimes I get tired of deconstructing theology and questioning orthodoxy.
7. Even though I won't be joining the GOP any time soon, I don't have much faith in the Democrats either.
But you know what? I actually like being somewhere in between an evangelical and a progressive. Makes me feel . . . unique.